36 fort of Chhattisgarh
Literally, Chhattisgarh means (Chhattisgarh + Garh) thirty-six forts or Garhs.
There were 18 -18 Garhs under Ratanpur branch and Raipur branch during Kalchuri rule.
Of these, Garh was situated to the north of Shivnath river and Garh to the south of the river.
Later, the strongholds of the north were under the Ratanpur branch and the strongholds of the south were under the jurisdiction of the Raipur branch.
In this way there were 36 strongholds, its reference is found in Acharya Ramendranath Mishra’s book Chhattisgarh Ka Itihaas.
Names Of 36 Forts Of Chhattisgarh
The name Chhattisgarh was first used in literature by poet Dalpatrao in the year 1494 during the reign of Khairagarh’s king Laxminidhi Rai – “Listen to Laxminidhi Rai Chit de, Garh Chhattis mein na gadhaiyya rahi”.
The name Chhattisgarh has been mentioned in the year 1686 in Khub Tamasha composed by the poet Gopal Chandra Mishra of Ratanpur.
Revaram used the word Chhattisgarh in a book named Vikram Vilas, which was composed in the year 1896.
The fort was an important unit in the Kalchuri rule. Chhattisgarh was divided into 36 forts of Chhattisgarh. There were two branches of Kalchurio in Chhattisgarh.
Khallari inscription of Brahmadev.
Shivnath River (Ratanpur branch in the north and Raipur branch in the south).
Name of 36 fort of Chhattisgarh
18 Fort of Ratanpur
18 Fort of Raipur