Hindi Bhavan was constructed in 1911 by the British and was named Edward Hall.
In the upper part of this building, the operation of the public reading room started from the year 1915.
So, it was continuously operating till a few years ago.
After independence, this building was used for literary and cultural works, hence it was named ‘Hindi Bhavan’.
Despite being named Hindi Bhavan, the literateurs of the city could never get this building easily for literary programs.
This building remained Hindi Bhawan just for show.
History of Hindi Bhavan
If we go through the pages of the history of the fort, the name of a named Jagpal or Jagatpal comes to the fore behind establishing the fort as a fort.
According to obscure sources, he was the commander of Prithvi Dev II of the Kalchuri dynasty.
Somewhere, Jagpal is said to be a resident of Mirzapur’s Baghal country, who was the treasurer of the Kalchuris.
Pleased with something, the Kalchuri king gave Jagpal 700 villages including the fort as a reward.
then Jagpal also established a fort here.
From 1818 to 1947, this city has been written as Drug in the Gazetteers.
From 1860 to 1947, it was included in Central Province, and from 1947 to 1956 in CP and Berar Central Province.
After that, it was in Madhya Pradesh from 1 November 1956.
Then from 1 November 2000 in Chhattisgarh state.
Durg district was created in 1906.
when it included Durg, Rajnandgaon, Kawardha, Mugeli, some parts of Dhamtari, and some parts of Simga.
Then this district included Parpodi, Gandai, Thakurtola, Silhati, Barbaspur, Sahaspur Lohara, Gundardehi, Khujji, Daudilohara, Ambagarh Chowki, Panabaras, Korcha, and Aundhi zamindaries.
In this way, then a huge area comes into the Durg district.
Location of Hindi Bhawan
Durg Utai Road, Durg, CG – 491001.
Rulers of the city(Hindi Bhavan)
Maurya, Satavahana, Rajarshi, Sharabhpuria, Somvansh, Nal, Mahishmati, Kalchuri, Maratha rulers Maurya, Satavahana, Rajarshi, Sharabhpuria, Somvansh, Nal, Mahishmati, Kalchuri, Maratha rulers also ruled in this city.