Biography of Pandit Sundarlal SharmaPandit Sundarlal Sharma was an Indian freedom fighter and politician known for his contributions to the Indian independence movement.
Play a great role in the development of the state of Chhattisgarh and the Literature of Chhattisgarh.
Here is a brief biography of Pandit Sundarlal Sharma:
Pandit Sundarlal Sharma Born on
Pt. Sunderlal Sharma was born in 1881 in Chamsur village near Rajim in Chhattisgarh.
Father’s Name of Pandit Sundarlal Sharma
His father’s name was Jaglal Tiwari
Mother’s name of Pandit Sundarlal Sharma
his mother’s name was Devmati.
Early Life and Education of Pandit Sundarlal Sharma
- He received his early education in his hometown
- Pandit Sundar Lal Sharma was educated only up to the primary level.
- At home, he learned Sanskrit, Bengali, and Oriya languages from his own tutor.
- From adolescence, he started writing poems, articles, and plays.
- He considered the propagation of education necessary to eradicate evil practices.
- Along with the Hindi language, he also gave importance to the Chhattisgarhi language.
- and later went on to study law at the University of Allahabad.
Involvement in the Independence Movement
- Sundarlal Sharma was deeply inspired by the freedom movement led by Mahatma Gandhi and became an ardent follower of Gandhian principles of non-violence and civil disobedience.
- He actively participated in various freedom struggle activities, including the Non-Cooperation Movement and the Civil Disobedience Movement.
- Sharma was arrested multiple times for his involvement in the freedom movement and spent time in prison.
During the late 19th century, a political and cultural awareness movement was gaining momentum in the country. This period of change saw the emergence of social reformers, thinkers, and patriots who brought new ideas and direction to society. In Chhattisgarh, an unforgettable contribution was made by an individual who took the message of social consciousness to every household.
Pandit Sunder Lal Sharma joined the National Farmers Movement, Prohibition, Tribal Movement, and Swadeshi Movement and sacrificed everything on the altar of freedom.
Mahatma Gandhi praised his Harijondhar work with an open voice and considered Pandit Sunder Lal Sharma as his guru in this work.
Sunder Lal Sharma was also successful in the Kandel Canal Satyagraha near Dhamtari in 1920 under the leadership.
It was due to his efforts that Mahatma Gandhi came to Raipur for the first time on 20 December 1920.
He was one of the prominent people who went to jail during the non-cooperation movement in Chhattisgarh.
Role in Chhattisgarh’s Development
- After India gained independence in 1947, Pandit Sundarlal Sharma played a pivotal role in the socio-economic development of the newly formed state of Madhya Pradesh, particularly in the Chhattisgarh region.
- He served as the first Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh from 1952 to 1956. During his tenure, he focused on improving education, healthcare, and infrastructure in the region.
- Sharma also played a significant role in the formation of Chhattisgarh as a separate state. He was a strong advocate for the recognition of Chhattisgarh’s distinct cultural and linguistic identity.
Legacy of Pandit Sundarlal Sharma
- Pandit Sundarlal Sharma’s contributions to the development of Chhattisgarh and his dedication to the cause of Indian independence are widely recognized and celebrated in the region.
- In his honor, the Pandit Sundarlal Sharma (Open) University was established in Bilaspur, Chhattisgarh.
- His life and work continue to inspire generations of leaders and activists in Chhattisgarh and beyond.
Work of Pandit Sundarlal Sharma
He composed about 18 texts in Hindi and Chhattisgarhi, of which Chhattisgarhi Danleela is a famous work. He is called the first visionary and concept car of Chhattisgarh.
Wrote Dularva Patrika in Hindi and Krishna Janmasthan Patrika in Hindi.
He established a Sanskrit school in Rajim in 1907
and Satnami Ashram in Raipur and the first Swadeshi shop in Rajim in 1910 and was the architect of the Kandel Satyagraha of 1920.
Major works of Pandit Sundarlal Sharma
Shri Krishna’s birth story
Shri Raghunath Guna Kirtan
Satnami bhajan mala
Respect of Pandit sundarlal sharma
Chhattisgarh Government has instituted ‘Pandit Sunderlal Sharma Samman’ for literature in his memory.
In honor of Pandit Sunderlal Sharma, ‘Pandit Sunderlal Sharma Open University, Chhattisgarh’ has been established in his name.
He continued to follow the ideal of simple living and high thinking throughout his life.
28 December 1940.
Pandit Sundarlal Sharma was a prominent figure in the history of Chhattisgarh and the Indian independence movement, known for his unwavering commitment to the welfare of his people and his country.
He was the pioneer of public awakening and social revolution in Chhattisgarh.
Also a poet, social activist, social worker, historian, freedom fighter, and a versatile talent. He is also called ‘Gandhi of Chhattisgarh’.