Papchi is a delightful whole wheat flour sweet snack from Chhattisgarh, India.
It is sweet of the Chhattisgarh.
It’s often prepared during festivals and special occasions.
Here’s a recipe for making Papchi
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (atta)
- 2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- A pinch of salt
- Water, as needed
For the Filling:
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1/2 cup grated jaggery
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- A pinch of nutmeg powder (optional)
- Oil or ghee for deep frying
- Prepare the Dough:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, ghee, and a pinch of salt.
- Gradually add water and knead the mixture into a firm, smooth dough.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rest for about 15-20 minutes.
- Prepare the Filling:
- In a separate bowl, mix the grated coconut, grated jaggery, cardamom powder, and nutmeg powder (if using). Ensure that the jaggery is well combined with the coconut to make a sweet filling.
- Shape the Papchi:
- Divide the dough into small lemon-sized portions.
- Take one portion of dough and roll it into a small circle (about 3-4 inches in diameter) on a lightly floured surface.
- Place a spoonful of the coconut-jaggery filling in the center of the rolled dough.
- Fold and Seal:
- Fold the dough circle in half to cover the filling, creating a half-moon shape.
- Press the edges to seal the papchi, ensuring that no filling spills out.
- Repeat the process with the remaining dough and filling to make more papchi.
- Fry the Papchi:
- Heat oil or ghee in a deep frying pan or kadai over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, carefully add the stuffed papchi one at a time.
- Fry until they turn golden brown and crisp on both sides, turning occasionally.
- Remove them using a slotted spoon and drain excess oil on paper towels.
- Allow the papchi to cool slightly before serving.
- Enjoy your delicious Chhattisgarhi Papchi as a sweet snack during festivals or as a treat!
Remember that the jaggery filling can be hot when fresh out of the oil, so be cautious while eating. Adjust the sweetness to your preference by adding more or less jaggery to the filling mixture